RISE4Disability is the most comprehensive regional disability event in the UK. On Thursday 12th July, Inspire Peterborough joined forces with RISE4Disability at the Peterborough Arena to run a sports arena workshop for health professionals and guests attending the exhibition.
Inspire were joined by:
- Karl Butcher from Immortal 365 offering adaptive 1:1 training
- Vivacity Disability Sports with archery and cycling
- Special Olympics with the ever popular boccia
- Boxing Futures
- Phantoms Para Ice Hockey team and their wheely sleds
- Jennifer Goodwin with her rhythmic gymnastics ribbon and rope display
- Andy Draco with a tai chi demonstration
- The Wellness on Wheels bus of Healthy Peterborough
- Sonia Cullington and her WOW fitness seated exercise class
- Uncle John from the Mobility Aids Centre (and thank you for bringing the NuStep cross-trainer for us at the last minute!)
We would like to say a special thank you for all the groups who time out of their day to make the day such a success for those who attended. On Monday, we also had our first person join our inclusive gym, Amilly Fitness, as a result of picking up a free pass on the day!
We could not have run the day without a wonderful group of motivated volunteers from the Silver Spoon Company, BGL Group, Bradley from Vivacity Disability Sports, and not forgetting Travis from City College Peterborough.
Here is just a selection of what people had to say:
“Showing people how to play Boccia and encouraging them to be more active was the highlight of the event for me. It’s also been great to see people using their free passes given out at RISE at Amilly Fitness this week. I love seeing new faces at the gym” – Matt, Volunteer at Amilly Fitness
“Excellent display of equipment, was very useful to be shown how particular items work and how they could help me” – Sally, client of Amilly Fitness and Walks on Wednesday
“I found the event very informative. I learnt about new opportunities in my local area and what groups and activities I could be part of” – Phill, client of Amilly Fitness and Walks on Wednesday
“Seated boxing was great fun! I would love to do this again” – Luca, client of Amilly Fitness
“It was lovely to see so much information in one place. The OT lecture was extremely informative and well presented. I came away with lots of information and news ideas” – Andrew, client of Amilly Fitness
Unfortunately, RISE4Disability will not be returning to Peterborough next year, but do look out for it in the Cambridgeshire or Norfolk area. A change of scenery of always nice – and we’re looking forward to a day out!
But we do have Sporting Saturday on 9th February 2019 to look forward to, so save the date!